Sunday 14 November 2010

Progress update

I've been making more progress with the front suspension. I've built two wishbones, finished the upright/wishbone mounts and improved on the front suspension arrangement again.





One issue a had with machining the spherical bearing housings for the wishbones was the circlip groove. I do not have any internal grooving tools to hand so I simply machined the housings in two halves, TIG welded them together, and then machined the final bore. All seems ok so far as I've pressed the bearings in and out with no difficulty.

I was on the verge of getting my wheel centres machined up, but until I am 100% sure on the design of everything else in that area I've made a hub adaptor that positions a wheel with one of the original BBS centres fitted at the correct offset.

I had a trial fit of everything this weekend and everything is looking good. Picked up my new TIG welder too. Went for an AC/DC machine so I can fabricate my own fuel/oil tanks etc when the time comes. Next task is the newly designed pull-rod rockers. I've got the needle roller bearings and aluminium billets all ready to go. More updates coming soon....





1 Comments:

At 21 February 2011 at 01:06 , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm loving your build.

Very nice and neat front uprights but what's your steering lock like?

Normal cars have the top ball joint at 90 degrees as you want more lock than suspension travel but your design looks to have more suspension travel than lock so I'm curious as to how much you actually end up with?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home