Saturday 18 February 2012

It's been a little while but some updates are in order.. Firstly, I am now working at a motorsport suspension and chassis design company. Unfortunately the group c replica is on hold at the moment. Replica body shells, 17" wheels and tyres, brakes and of course the necessary rotary powerplant add up to a fair bit of money that I do not have available right now. I want to complete the project but do it properly and as such it will have to wait for now. I have started on two projects that will allow me to develop some new products.

The first new project is the hillclimb car. I got the chance to buy a crashed ZX10R a few months ago. It was going very cheap as it would not start, electrical problems the most likely cause. With the bike back at home, I went through the on-board diagnosis procedure and located the problem to the ignition barrel sensor. A few days later a replacement arrived in the post and the bike fired up first time! I also came across a brilliant guy who has access to used race car parts. I then managed to pick up a set of F3 wheels with tyres and complete front brakes, all for a very reasonable price. The aim with the car is to keep it lightweight and simple. The bodywork will be far more easy to produce that the closed cockpit group c style car and will end up looking something like the Norma M20.

The second new project is the Mercedes 190 cosworth track car. I have had this car for a number of years, running it as a daily driver. I've taken it of daily duties now though and pulled the bodykit off a few weekends back to see the extent of the rust I spied bubbling at the bodykit edge. Nothing too bad was found underneath. It will require a bit of welding around the rear arches and near the front jacking points but all of it I will be able to carry out myself. The engine in the car is fantastic and feels totally indestructible but with the ageing bosch mechanical fuel injection it lacks the responsiveness of a more modern car. The handling was adequate but is clearly let down by the dozens of old, perished and well worn rubber bushes connecting the rear wheels to the body shell. Whilst working on a customers car the other day at work, I got thinking about sorting a car for myself. The Merc seemed the obvious answer. I've removed the rear subframe, bodykit and interior, found the extents of the rust which I will now repair and then rebuild the car using all the new parts I have designed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home